North Broadway is will go down to one lane of traffic on (need relevant data including dates) as the road is reduced to three lanes, which will include a dedicated turning lane and bike path.
Road Diets have been studied by the Federal Highway Administration and are shown to have many benefits. The major benefits include the following:
- An overall crash reduction between 19 to 47 percent.
- Reduction of rear-end and left-turn crashes by removing left-turning vehicles from the through lane.
- Reduction of sideswipe crashes due to eliminating the need to change lanes.
- Reduction in left-turn crashes from vehicles in the outside opposing lane ‘hiding’ behind vehicles in the opposing inside lane.
- Fewer lanes for pedestrians to cross.
- The opportunity to install bicycle lanes when the roadway width is redistributed.
- Reduced right-angle crashes as side street motorists must cross only three lanes of traffic instead of four.
- Traffic calming and reduced speed differential, which can decrease the number of crashes and reduce the severity of crashes if they occur.
- Simplifying lane selection for motorists (especially older and younger drivers) making left turns from or onto the mainline.